Saint Leo University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part-Time Summer, Lions Pride Newspaper
at Saint Leo University
Job Description Summary
Temporary Summer Position for student newspaper. Journalists research and write stories for national, regional and local press. Reporting on campus news, politics, sports, arts and entertainment, science and business. Will cover national and local events, entertainment and human-interest stories. Staff reporters write stories allocated to them by the news desk and submit to their page editor, who in turn work with them to edit/proofread the article before publication.
The Lions’ Pride is looking to fill the following positions:
- Staff Writers
- Multimedia Writers/Designers (video, audio, slide shows, etc.)
- Advertising Representatives
- Managing Editor trainee (accounting, finance, eco majors welcomed)
- Online Editor trainee (maintain and design in the online environment).
Duties and Tasks:
- Cover campus news, breaking news, feature stories, general news, meetings, sports events, and more. These events can be at any time of day or night.
- Write weekly articles and take photos (and possibly shoot video) to accompany the articles.
- Interview people for articles – the ability to talk to people in person.
- Attend weekly meetings, which are mandatory, unless class conflicts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of digital photography and downloading photos preferred, but not required.
- Helpful Knowledge, but not required: Ability to use Pagemaker, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, InDesign, and/or Adobe Premier Video Editing.
- Strong organizational and time management skills needed to balance work with school.
- Strong vocabulary, spelling and grammar skills, and a knowledge of writing.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- The ability to assist other teammates and work when necessary to accomplish the goals of a weekly newspaper.
- Comfortable contacting and interviewing sources for article.
- Must be dependable, self-motivated, and able to work under pressure, meet weekly deadlines, and possess good communication skills with team members.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay’s Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times.
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence—ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries—ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.